It’s Bubble Time, Bubble Pool Tutorial

bubble-pool-tutorial
Not the best picture of me, but it really shows you how child is inside bubble!
I recently posted a Dinosaur Bash party and promised you tutorials for all of the key elements of this fun party, so here is another tutorial!
Last year our son’s school hired someone to come in and do a bubble pool for the kids in his class. My son enjoyed this so much that I knew it would have to be the entertainment at his birthday party. So I used my ┬áhandy dandy iphone and started to do some research on the different ways to make this special bubble solution to achieve the best bubble possible. I finally found a recipe and it worked out perfectly.

Materials needed:

Child size pool
Hula hoop
Cotton String
Dawn Dish Soap
Corn Syrup
Unflavored gelatin
Empty one gallon jugs

Instructions:

Important Tip: Make sure you prepare bubble solution and let it sit overnight before you use it to get the best bubble possible.

Prepare solution: In a one gallon jug add:
– 2 cups Dawn dish soap
– 1 cup corn syrup
– 1 package unflavored gelatin

Add water to almost fill the jug, but do so slowly as to not create too many suds in the jug!
Close cap and shake, shake, shake, baby! Let solution sit overnight so that the ingredients bond well.

Important: In order to fill an average size kiddie pool you will need to make (3) jugs of solution, don’t be like me and skip ahead and not read the previous IMPORTANT TIP :), then end up with not enough solution! Learn from my mistake.

Prepare Hula hoop:

Wrap cotton string around hula hoop and tie or tuck string in, this is important because the string will help the bubble solution adhere to the hula hoop for maximum bubblelocity (yes, I just made that word up!)

IT’S BUBBLE POOL TIME

1. Pour (3) jugs of solution inside pool, dip the cotton string-wrapped hula hoop inside solution making sure that it gets very saturated. Keep hula hoop on pool bottom.
2. Have one very excited child step inside middle of the pool, inside hula hoop, carefully it will be quite slippery!
3. In one smooth stroke, pull the hula hoop over the child above his head, if done successfully, you will have one very happy child standing inside of a humongous bubble.
Adorable child inside bubble, another angle
The happy boy post bubble!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. I will be back soon with yet another tutorial from our Dino Bash Party!

12 thoughts on “It’s Bubble Time, Bubble Pool Tutorial

1. May 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm

We just did this at the children’s museum today, and boy, did my kids get a thrill out of it. How fun!

I would LOVE for you to share these at my For the Kids link party! Come join the fun!!

2. Anonymous
    May 31, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I want to do this for my dtrs birthday party! What size cotton string do I need (thread/rope) and how to wrap it around hula hoop… around the outside, inside or all around? thanks :)

3. June 1, 2011 at 11:00 am

Hi Rachel, Thanks it was so much fun! My son was so happy, as you can see! I will definitely check your link party out, thanks. D

4. June 1, 2011 at 11:01 am

@ Anonymous, hi! I used regular sewing thread and you just twist it all the way around the hula hoop. I’m not sure how to explain it just grab the string tie it to the hula hoop and go around and around in and out of the perimeter of the hula hoop. Your daughter will love it!

5. June 10, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Holy cow! Wow! That’s amazing! I will have to try this with my little ones – they will go crazy!

I’d love for you to come link up some of your great ideas at my summer-long link party at bugaboo, mini, mr & me!

“Life’s a Picnic!” party!

6. June 10, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Hi Kimberly! The boys loved it. I even got in! I will definitely check out your link party thanks!
    D

7. Diana
    June 12, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Thank you for this tutorial, im definitely gonna try this for my sons upcoming bday :) ive seen this done at our local museum and one thing i observed that you can do is use a plastic plant pot/base bottom for the middle of the pool that way the kiddies can stand on that and dont have to step into the bubble solution.

8. June 13, 2011 at 3:59 am

Hi Diana! Glad you liked it! We tried using a little step stool but it kept popping the bubble! Hope you signed up to follow us here or on facebook! I think you will love the giveaway I will be posting next week :). Love. D

9. Diana
    June 13, 2011 at 9:26 am

Oooh sounds intriguing! i just liked your page on fb, thanks for the heads up :)

10. June 25, 2011 at 8:58 am

Hi Kimberly,
    I just linked to your tutorial on my blog.

Thanks!

11. August 1, 2013 at 10:54 am

Love it!! would really love to try this with my daugther, but as I live in the UK ., I cannot find corn syrup anywhere…is there an alternative?

1. admin
      August 1, 2013 at 11:01 am

Hi you can try to substitute it for honey! Good luck! D